Saturday, May 10, 2008

Walking for a Cause


Once again, my mom, aunt, friend, and I all participated in the Revlon Run/Walk today. It took place at the Los Angeles Memorial Colliseum, and I volunteered as a finish line timer. And just like last year, it was the most inspiring, amazing, incredible (and FUN!) day.

Last week I went to the Volunteer meeting to pick up my t-shirt and get my team assignment.

When I walked in the stadium, it looked pretty empty...







Unlike Race Day...




There were tables of medals...







And an army of people to hand them out...




The Olympic Torch was lit...




There were volunteers handing out Survivor Roses...




The runners start arriving...




And two hours later, the walkers are still pouring in...




And the Go-Gos were there!









There were teams with great t-shirts that made me laugh, like “Saving Second Base” and “Save the Ta-Tas";

There was a little girl who was pushed the whole way to the stadium in a wheelchair...and then was helped by her mother to walk to the finish line under her own steam;

There were women, men, kids with signs saying they walked for family, friends, etc. who had fought and survived...and wonderful people who walked for those who had fought and lost the battle;

There were women who were singing along to the Go-Gos at the top of their lungs...just like I was. And possibly a boogie or two;

There was a group of three women...one was a sister, one was a daughter, and one was a niece walking for their sister/mother/aunt who had lost her battle against cancer the day before;

There was a woman who came through my lane who looked like every single step was a struggle. She was exhausted and still she looked at me, sighed with relief, gave me the biggest smile I’d ever seen and said “I made it.” She was a survivor of two months.

The Revlon Run/Walk is always such an emotional day for me. It’s the most amazing, powerful, heartbreaking, and inspiring event. You cannot comprehend the immense feeling of pride to be a human being that day in that stadium. And as a volunteer, it feels so wonderful to help support all these amazing women and their families. I spent most of the day laughing through my tears, and I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

In fact, I’ll do it all again May 9, 2009.

Who wants to join me?

Lynda the Guppy
aka The Fish with Sticks

No comments: